Every Spartan races for different reasons. For some, it means competing at the highest athletic level, for others it’s a way to get back into shape, others like the social aspect. Regardless of your motivations, we have race category options to ensure you have the best experience possible.
The Elite Category
These athletes are competing to win prize money, test themselves against the best of the best, attract potential sponsors, and rise to the top of the Spartan Race Point Series.
Elite Racers, like all Spartan athletes, commit to flawless sportsmanship and adhere strictly to the race rules and guidelines. Racers who fail to follow these guidelines risk disqualification.
If you have to ask yourself if you are elite, you probably aren’t.
Racing in Elite race category gives you the following opportunities:
- winners ranking in the single event- Top3 winners male and female are awarded on race day during the awards ceremony.
- Qualification for the European Championship in Elite race category. Further information can be found HERE.
- Qualification for the World Championship in Elite race category (direct qualification only via age group category races that are part of the National Series). Further information can be found HERE.
The Age Group Category
The Age Group Category is a series of heats placed immediately after the Elite category. Age Group racers will follow the same rules and standards as the Elite racers.
Age Group heats will be officiated by on-course referees, video review, and feature an Age Group points series with exciting prizes, podium awards, and athlete rankings. Age Group Racers believe they could win or place in a given race when stacked against only the best of the best within their designated age group.
The Age Group categories can be seen here- same categories for both men and women. PLEASE NOTE: all races in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands, France, Italy, Spain, Andorra and Greece have a minimum age of 16 years for the Sprint and 18 years for Super, Beast and Ultra. Therefore the age group category 14-17 is only used in Sprint races where there is a Age Group Race offered and it’s limited to 16-17.
- Women 14-17 / Men 14-17
- Women 18-24 / Men 18-24
- Women 25-29 / Men 25-29
- Women 34-39 / Men 30-34
- Women 35-39 / Men 35-39
- Women 40-44 / Men 40-44
- Women 45-49 / Men 45-49
- Women 50-54 / Men 50-54
- Women 55-59 / Men 55-59
- Women 60+ / Men 60+
Racing in Age Group race category gives you the following opportunities:
- Age Group Ranking in each race with an Age Group race- Top3 winners in each age group are awarded on race day during the awards ceremony.
- Qualification for the European Championship in Age Group race category. Further information can be found HERE.
- Qualification for the World Championship in Age Group race category (direct qualification only via age group category races that are part of the National Series). Further information can be found HERE.
YOUR AGE GROUP IS DETERMINED BY YOUR AGE ON RACE DAY OF EACH RACE THAT YOU RACE. So your age group can change during the season, including you might qualify in one age group but have to race in a championship in another age group (Example: you qualify age group 24-29 but turn 30 years old the week before the Championship. You will then race in AG 30-39.).
The Open category is for everyone, period. Weekend warriors, novice athletes, first-time racers, and teams are all welcome here. The Open category offers the same opportunity as the Competitive and Elite categories to get far outside your comfort zone, test your body’s limits, and experience the awesome rush of the finish line. However, there’s no pressure to push your pace.
Regardless of which category you race in, all finishes will count toward the completion of a TRIFECTA or Spartan DELTA.